[CIG-LONG] Boundary conditions

nicolas riel nicolas.riel at free.fr
Tue May 10 08:26:46 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I was working on a mantelic plume with Gale 1.4 but in the last version of
Gale the boundary conditions does not reacts in the same way.
Here is the description of the old comportement:

In my 3D model, I have 2 materials: the mantle and a small and thin cylinder
of hot and less dense plume like material laid on the bottom boundary.
I set the "vy" bottom BC to 0 (same for other BC except for the top), and
the initialParticleShape (In the splitting routine) to BottomBoundaryShape.

Because, my plume material at the bottomBoundary was lighter than the
surrounding material, the plume particles were going up and new particles
were automattically created to fill the gap (freely adding material to the
model with direct dependency on the plume buyancy).It was a very efficient
way to study plume ascent.

However this is not working anymore because there is no creation of new
particle anymore.

I was wondering if there was a possibility to keep a "vy" = 0 and in the
same timing allowing creation of new particles at boundaries ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Nicolas Riel