[CIG-LONG] Gale 2.0

Patrice Rey patrice.rey at me.com
Thu Nov 10 01:15:00 PST 2011

G'day Walter

I am testing Gal 2.0 with a simple model of lithospheric extension. The model involves visco(non-Newtonian)-plastic rheology with internal radiogenic heating.

Boundary conditions involves wrapTop and staticBottom, and constant velocity is imposed of both vertical walls.

Mechanically the model evolves nicely but the temperature does not evolve as expected.  A negative temperature gradient develops in the viscinity of the Moho (cf. attached figure).  This suggests a problem with diffusivity which in my model is the same for all materials.

I have checked that Gale's time step (ca. 5e10 sec) is much smaller that dt_diff = courantFactor * (cellsize^2) / (maximum_diffusivity) = 2.5 10^11 sec.

I have tried to impose a smaller time step (ten times smaller)  via  <param_name="maxTimeStepSize">5e9sec</param>, but the problem persists.

0