[CIG-LONG] frictionless surfaces using Gale

Matty Mookerjee matty.mookerjee at sonoma.edu
Mon Oct 31 08:10:53 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had success creating frictionless surfaces in Gale.  If I squish (technical term) a box against one of the bounding walls it behaves frictionless (at least it appears to), but when I have one rigid block squishing a weaker block that surface seems to have a lot of friction.  In fact, where those to objects are in contact with each other no sliding occurs at all.  I have tried setting boundaryCohesion, boundaryCohesionAfterSoftening, boundaryFrictionCoefficient and boundaryFrictionCoefficientAfterSoftening all to zero and adding <param name="boundaryBottom">True</param>.

I have done this for both objects (although obviously boundaryTop = True for the lower block) which are both using the DruckerPrager rheology.

Even so, the boundaries seem to be stuck together.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Matty Mookerjee

Department of Geology