[CIG-LONG] Conservation of Mass

laetitia le pourhiet laetitia.le_pourhiet at upmc.fr
Sat Sep 24 03:16:11 PDT 2011

Hi Brian and the others,

There is not much you can do about that I gave up trying to do such
models with Gale.
It is now established Q1Q1 elements are not suited for this kind of
problems.
What you can do is  to
1) Remove the free surface/sky to work with delta rho instead of rho
2) Increase the resolution.

Basically you should only use these elements for extended thin shit
problems.

The old Q1P0 had other problems, but they could be used to model
drip/subduction problems.

If CIG still wants to spend some time/money on Gale
It would be usefull to have a switch between elements, like in UW so
that depending on the model set up we can choose the best suited element.

hope this was helpfull

Laetitia

On 9/24/11 12:44 AM, Brian Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a model of lithospheric drip and despite having zero
> flux on the boundaries, I am getting downward velocities with no
> compensating upwelling, which would seem to violate the divergence
> free condition. Has anybody else had a similar problem and/or figured
> out a solution? I've attached a copy of my input file if anyone wants
> to look at it; everything is scaled as follows: distance: km, mass:
> 10^15 kg, time: m.y.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

*Dr Laetitia Le Pourhiet*<\n> MCF - Institut des Sciences de la Terre
Paris - UPMC<\n> tel : +33 1 44 27 58 83<\n> web :
http://perso.numericable.com/laetitia.le.pourhiet/index.html<\n>