[CIG-LONG] CIG-LONG Digest, Vol 58, Issue 4

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Sep 26 17:13:15 PDT 2011

Brian Wilson <bjwilson83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions; I will try adding the hydrostatic term
> and using Q1P0 elements. Is there a way to set the element to Q1P0 in the
> code or do I just need to use an earlier version? I'll look forward to using
> Q2P1 elements too; hopefully things will run better when that is fully
> implemented.

Q1P0 elements are not supported in Gale because I was never able to
get them to work well at all in the presence of plasticity.  I do not
recommend them.  However, I did not remove what was already there.  So
you can mostly use the old input files with the current version.  You
can check the file UPGRADE for the details.  The only change I can
think of that will cause problems is that VTKOutput will no longer
work.  You might be able to work around that by using the checkpoint
output (XDMF).

In any case, I am actively working on the Q2P-1 elements.  It is
working better now, and I expect it to be done in the next few weeks.

walter at geodynamics.org