[CIG-LONG] CheckPointing

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Apr 3 07:22:54 PDT 2012

nicolas riel <a.nicolas.riel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for all Walter !
>
> I have another question. I'm working on 2D subduction with model of 100 to 300
> km thick. In Gale 1.6.1 I used to set an isostatic stress on the bottom
> boundary conditions.
> My initial surface was flat and due to the isostatic stress, continent were
> elevating while ocean were sinking. With this solution I had a few steps later
> a good initial geometry.
>
> With Gale 2.0 I cannot do the same thing, the vertical velocities are going
> several order of magnitude higher than expected, then the model crashes. Is it
> due to the absence of an hydrostaticTerm ?

HydrostaticTerm was really a workaround for the deficiencies of the
Q1-Q1 elements.  So you do not need to set it.  However, the StressBC
will be different.  In 1.6.1, you could set the stress to zero because
the HydrostaticTerm would provide the necessary balancing force.  In
2.0.0, you need to move that term into StressBC.  Maybe you could send
your input file?

> Do I need to set an initial deformed top boundary ?

You can if you want, but you should not need to.