[CIG-LONG] GALE

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Feb 17 10:51:00 PST 2012

Hi Bobak,

I am Cc'ing the cig-long mailing list in case other people have
similar questions.

BOK10 at pitt.edu wrote:
> Hi Dr. Landry,
>
> My name is Bobak Karimi, a graduate student at the University of
> Pittsburgh, and I'm interested in using Gale for parts of my research, but
> I am having some issues with setting up the model:
>
> 1) Is it possible to create a more complicated model in Cubit and export
> it as an exodus file to be read and processed by Gale? I know PyLith can
> do this, but I wasn't sure if Gale could.

No, it can not.

> 2) My model is complicated (as mentioned before), and I'm unsure of how to
> approach making the model. I have a basement material which surfaces on
> one side of my model, and sedimentary beds which pinch out towards where
> the basement material outcrops. Is there a way to deal with this?

You can define shapes using arbitrary equations.  You can also use
intersections and unions to cobble together simpler shapes into a
larger, more complicated shapes.  So what you want should be no
trouble.  Can you send a picture?