[CIG-LONG] Isostasy in GALE

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Fri Mar 2 12:49:04 PST 2012

Robert Gray <graywacke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright, thanks Walter, I'll stick to GALE for the isostasy models.
>
> On another note, I've tried compiling the GALE source code on my macbook
> pro (10.6.8) over the past two days with no success.
> The problem has to do with PETSC.  Configuring PETSC is no problem, I can
> run make test fine at the end of the process.
>
> To Install PETSC I ran the following commands:
>
> -export PETSC_DIR=$PWD
> - ./config/configure.py --with-debugging=0 --with-shared=1
> --with-cc=/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gcc
> --with-fc=/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran --download-f-blas-lapack-1
> --download-mpich=1
> -  make PETSC_DIR=/Users/robgray/petsc-3.0.0 PETSC_ARCH=darwin10.8.0-c-opt;
> export PETSC_ARCH all
> - make test
>
> Everything installed fine.
>
> In the the GALE folder in the home directory I ran:
> -  ./configure.sh --petsc-dir=/Users/robgray/petsc-3.0.0
> --petsc-arch=darwin10.8.0-c-opt --hdf5-dir=/Users/robgray/hdf5-1.8.8
>
> only to get "Failed to locate required package PETSc."
>
> I have no idea how to proceed.   I've attached the config.log file.  Any
> help is greatly appreciated.

Looking at config.log, I see errors like

  ld: warning: in /Users/robgray/petsc-3.0.0/darwin10.8.0-c-opt/lib/libpetscsnes.dylib, file was built for i386 which is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)

which suggests that there is something odd about your petsc install.
I suspect that you have 32 bit compilers in /usr/local/gfortran.  What
is the output of

  file /usr/local/gfortran/bin/gcc

The Gale configure script is using the system mpicxx, which is 64 bit.
If you have a c++ compiler in /usr/local/gfortran, you can force Gale
to use it with the option

  --cxx=/usr/local/gfortran/bin/g++

In any case, is there a reason that you are not using Apple's
compiler?  Do you need Fortran?  Is it that you want to use parallel
direct solvers?  You do not want to sign up with ADC?