[CIG-LONG] Isostasy in GALE

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue Mar 6 13:47:22 PST 2012

Robert Gray <graywacke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Walter,
> When we apply the stressBC to model the isostatic response of a thickened
> crust what is supporting the crustal root?  Is there an elastic beam
> implementation in GALE that supports the thickened crust?

There is no contribution from an elastic beam term.  It is just an
isostatic response, like oil on top of water.

> Is it possible to strengthen what it is that is providing support?

You can change the density of the underlying medium.  For example, in

    input/cookbook/deforming_bottom.json

the restoring force is

  0.35-y

That implies that the density of the underlying medium is 1.  Changing
the restoring force to

  0.35-y*10

implies that the density of the underlying medium is 10.  So the
bottom deforms less.