[CIG-LONG] Crash Error in TimeIntegrand

María Helga Guðmundsdóttir mariahg at stanford.edu
Sun May 13 09:42:59 PDT 2012

Hi Walter,

This seems to have resolved the TimeIntegrand error issue – thanks!

However, I have another question that relates to one of the modifications you and George made to the model. The way the model ends are set up now, there is effectively no inflow of material, because the two ends of the model move at a rate equal to the velocity of the inflowing material. As a result, the models end up shortening more and more the longer they run, and with some of the smaller/shorter models, we practically run out of material in the late stages of the run. (Obviously you can't try to simulate 70 km of displacement on a 60 km model if the model is going to shorten by the full amount of the displacement.)

George and I experimented a bit with the Front/BackEquations, but we were unable to modify them to allow the model to actually retain its dimensions or change them more slowly; we always got the "wall is moving in the wrong direction" error. Is there any workaround that will allow us to keep the models at a constant size, but have material flow in and out of the two ends? Or should we try something else, like just defining the models to be 70+ km longer than we need them to be at the start, and allow that material to be gradually lost as the simulation progresses?

Thanks,
Maria