[CIG-LONG] Scaling from SI values

Matthias Schmiddunser matthias.schmiddunser at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Aug 8 04:52:10 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a problem concerning the correct scaling of values for the use in
Gale. Is there a "recipe" on how to scale the values, starting from
known SI units?

I want to model compression with temperature-dependent viscosity. The
viscosity is in the order of 10^22, so I scaled time as s -> 10^22 s and
mass as kg -> 10^44 kg, as described in the manual. For the thermal
diffusivity this means a value of 1 W/K*m becomes 10^22. However, in my
model I get a weird layered temperature structure, with values
oscillating between the values I set for the bottom and the top once per
cell (see attached picture). I assume this is due to the too high value
of diffusivity, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something basic. Any help
would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Matthias

--