[CIG-LONG] Oscillating velocity at bottom free boundary

Matthias Schmiddunser matthias.schmiddunser at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Oct 21 07:21:16 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I try to model a convergent crust with isostatic compensation of the
thickening slab and encounter numerical instabilities along the bottom
boundary (see attached .png).
I get very high velocity values, oscillating with the grid spacing. When
using a constant viscosity, this doesn't happen, but with all
temperature-dependent viscosities I tried (FrankKamnetskii, Arrhenius
and NonNewtonian), the same error appears.
I tried increasing the mesh resolution, reducing the timestep with
dtFactor and a different scaling of my input values without much
success. The only thing that helped so far was using the NonNewtonian
viscosity and limiting the viscosity range, but this only reduces the
oscillations and doesn't get rid of them.
The temperature profile and viscosity function I adopted from another model.

Do you have an idea how to get rid of this instability?

I attached my input file and the scaling for the input file I used. The
thermal configuration is chosen such that the initial thermal field is
preserved in case of no motion and for isostasy a supporting material of
higher density (3300 kg/m^3) is chosen.

Thank you very much,

Matthias

--