[CIG-MAGMA] Numerical Modeling of Mantle and Lithospheric Dynamics Workshop, July 9-11, 2008, in Davis, CA

Thorsten Becker twb at usc.edu
Tue Feb 12 15:59:09 PST 2008

Dear all:

It is the season for workshop announcements, so we'd like to ask you to
please consider attending the
2008 Workshop for Advancing Numerical Modeling of Mantle Convection
and Lithospheric Dynamics
July 9-11, 2008, at UC Davis (Davis, California)

Building on the success of the 2005 Boulder workshop, this meeting has
a broadened scope and brings together the mantle convection and
lithospheric dynamics (aka long-term deformation) communities.

The goal is to discuss scientific advances and, importantly, technical
and scientific issues related to the quantitative modeling of the
dynamic evolution of the mantle-lithosphere system.

We have an exciting program with a great cast of already confirmed
speakers which you can peruse, along with logistics details, at

http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/mc/workshops/litho2008/

The meeting is geared toward grad students and senior researchers
alike. We expect plenty of time for formal and informal discussions
about the nitty gritty aspects of numerical modeling and high
performance computing that will help empower the community to jointly
push things forward.

Davis is located close to Sacramento and Oakland airports and Napa as
well as Sonoma Valley. Thanks to generous funding from CIG and pending
funding from NSF, we hope to be able to support the attendance of
students and post-docs.

Registration will be open later this month, for now please mark your
calendars. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Your hosts

Magali I. Billen (UC Davis)
Scott King (Virginia Tech.)
Jolante van Wijk (LANL)
Thorsten Becker (USC)

--
"One workshop to rule them all."

Thorsten Becker                   Department of Earth Sciences
University of Southern California                 213.740.8365
Los Angeles CA 90089-0740          geodynamics.usc.edu/~becker