[CIG-MAGMA] Input needed for GLADE Townhall Meeting

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 15 10:22:23 PDT 2010

Dear SSC and Working Group Members,

The GLADE (mantle & long-term dynamics)  workshop is less than two
weeks away.
At this meeting there will be a 2 hour CIG Townhall Meeting on Monday,
July 26th hosted
by Wolfgang Bangerth and myself.

We are writing to ask for your input on topics that should be
discussed at this meeting
and I need this feedback by next Tuesday, July 20th.

We will take your feedback and create an agenda for the meeting that
is sent out to all
participants before the start of the meeting.

This townhall meeting is an opportunity to get immediate guidance for
the continuation of CIG on the
directions the community would like to see the Mantle Convection and
Long Terms tectonics
groups going.

For example, what resources should be put towards continued
development and support
of CitcomS and GALE - should these be big changes, or focused on
making these two
codes more user friendly, adding options that build on what's already
in the code and continue
to "clean up" the codes? OR are there significant changes to these
codes that are needed to
accomplish the science you want to be doing? Should these changes be
made or should resources
be focused on completely new codes?

What major development directions are in the works and how are these
related to CIG?

The NSF proposal for the continuation of CIG:

http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/proposalsndocs/documents/cig2-2009-proposal.pdf

highlighted things like developing AMR codes (like Rhea), multiphysics
coupling (solid and fluids
for mantle-lithosphere-magma simulations), adjoints and inversions and
building on
existing packages like deal.II and FEniCS.  What is the time-line for
development of this new
generation of codes?

In short - what are your computational needs - are there CIG tools
available now that could
be improved to meet these needs? If not, what capabilities should be
the priorities in developing
new software?

Please e-mail us your feedback by next Tuesday, July 20th.

Sincerely,

Magali Billen and Wolfgang Bangerth
-----------------------------
Associate Professor, U.C. Davis