[CIG-MAGMA] Move to Git repositories

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 28 09:58:24 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

CIG would like to start moving project repositories from Subversion to Git, hosted on the Github website.  I've already discussed this with some developers who are in favor of the move.  If you aren't familiar with Git, here is a brief overview of how it compares to Subversion:

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnComparison

and a comparison of Git and Subversion commands:

http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html

In preparation I already moved a few older CIG codes to Github, you can see them at https://github.com/geodynamics.  Over the course of the summer I'll contact the developers for each code and work with them to change their repositories to Git.  If you would like to get started soon on the move, please contact me and we can proceed immediately.  If you would prefer to stay with Subversion or need more information about Git, please contact me and we'll figure out what will work best.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

-Eric