[CIG-MAGMA] AGU Session DI009: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Mantle Melting and Volcanism

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 10:25:07 PDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to draw your attention to the following session on
Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Mantle Melting and Volcanism (DI009
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session23792>) at
the upcoming AGU Fall Meeting 2017.

Abstracts are due by Wednesday, August 2. Session details are included
below.

We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans this December,

Juliane Dannberg, Zach Eilon, Jin Liu and Ananya Mallik

*DI009: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Mantle Melting and Volcanism
*(ID #23792)
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session23792
Melting within the Earth, across a range of depths, has fundamental
consequences for planetary dynamics and evolution. Yet, questions
regarding source composition, melt migration and distribution, in situ
melt fraction, and magma storage and evolution remain unanswered. We
invite contributions from studies of asthenosphere/lithosphere melting
in various tectonic environments (e.g., mid-ocean ridges, subduction
zones, hotspots), as well as deep planetary melting (e.g., transition
zone, magma ocean). Topics covered by this session include: (1) magmatic
processes in the presence of volatiles and heterogeneous rock
assemblages, (2) melt migration and melt-rock interaction, (3) melting
and solidification at the core-mantle boundary, (4) imaging melt within
the Earth through seismic or magnetotelluric approaches, (5) plume vs.
non-plume origin of intraplate volcanism, and (6) magmatic processes and
the evolution of magmas in the early Earth. We solicit research that
combines the strengths of geochemistry, petrology, geology, geodynamics,
geophysics, and mineral physics.

Invited Presenters:
Tobias Keller (Stanford University) and Esteban Gazel (Virginia Tech)