[CIG-MC] Re: CitcomCU/CitcomS convergence parameters

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Thu Feb 8 14:02:37 PST 2007

Hi Magali,

I think your question might be interesting to many people, so I will
reply to the mailing list.

These four parameters (down_heavy, up_heavy, vlowstep, vhighstep)
control the number of smoothing cycles for each multi-grid level. Each
smoothing cycle is a Gauss-Seidel iteration over the residual and
involves two global communication.  Apply more smoothing cycles per
multi-grid level will make the residual decreases faster, but each level
will also take longer time to finish. Clearly, there is a trade-off that
depends on your machine configuration: the type of network connection,
the speed of the CPU, router, etc...

The rule of thumb is that down_heavy, up_heavy and vhighstep should be
small integers (2 or 3 is usually good enough). But you might need to do
a benchmark to determine the best vlowstep for your machine AND your
problem size. For fast network or small problem (small # of processors),
use higher value of vlowstep. For slow network or big problem (large #
of processors), use lower value of vlowstep. Shijie told me 20 is
usually big enough for vlowstep. I also have the feeling that the
current default value of vlowstep (=1000) in CitcomS is probably way too
big.

Eh