[CIG-MC] Ask help for CitcomS installation

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Thu Jul 5 12:21:09 PDT 2007

BENJUN WU wrote:
> configure: downloading missing Python dependencies
> configure: error: cannot download missing Python dependencies
> See `config.log' for more details.
> "
>
> And the 'config.log' is
>
> configure:2805: downloading missing Python dependencies
> configure:2808: /usr/bin/python setup.py install_deps -f /opt/CitcomS-2.2.2/deps -zmxd /opt/CitcomS-2.2.2/deps
>
>> &5 2>&5
>>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 3, in ?
>     use_merlin()
>   File "/home/bwu/software/CitcomS-2.2.2/archimedes/__init__.py", line 56, in use_merlin
>   File "/home/bwu/software/CitcomS-2.2.2/archimedes/__init__.py", line 46, in bootstrap
> OverflowError: signed integer is greater than maximum
> configure:2811: $? = 1
> configure:2816: error: cannot download missing Python dependencies
> See `config.log' for more details.

Hi Benjun,

Are you on a 64-bit machine? If so, you will need to upgrade your Python
to v2.4 or newer.
There are so many users having the same error such that I added the
question to the FAQ:

http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/software/packages/mc/citcoms/faq

*Q: "configure" reports this error message "OverflowError: signed
integer is greater than maximum". What does that mean?*

Are you on a 64-bit machine? If so, you will need to upgrade your Python
to v2.4 or newer.

*Q: The gcc/python/mpi on my system is too old, but I don't have the
privilege to update the software. How can I install gcc/python/mpi under
my home directory?*

Frist, get the tarball and untar it, cd into the untarred directory. Run
"./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt && make && make install" to install the
package under the directory $HOME/opt. Then, add "$HOME/opt/bin" into
your PATH.

--
Eh Tan
Staff Scientist