[CIG-MC] CitcomS in full spherical mode on a desktop

Leif Strand leif at geodynamics.org
Fri Jun 8 18:26:57 PDT 2007

Hello,

The launcher options 'nodegen' and 'nodelist' are only meaningful on a
Beowulf-style cluster that doesn't have a job scheduler (such as LSF or
PBS). On a desktop or laptop, they are meaningless since there is only
one node.

In general, you want to debug the 'mpirun' command so that it looks
correct for the particular flavor of MPI you are using:

    citcoms example0.cfg --launcher.dry

The above command will dump the 'mpirun' command, instead of actually
running CitcomS.

To control the 'mpirun' command used by CitcomS, edit the file
~/.pyre/CitcomS/CitcomS.cfg (create this file if it doesn't exist). This
file might look like the following:

    [CitcomS.launcher]
    command = mpirun -np ${nodes}

However, if you are using MPICH2, it should instead specify 'mpiexec':

    [CitcomS.launcher]
    command = mpiexec -np ${nodes}

Depending upon your environment settings (PATH in particular), sometimes
it is helpful to specify the full path to 'mpirun' (or 'mpiexec'):

    [CitcomS.launcher]
    command = /home/leif/opt/lam/bin/mpirun -np ${nodes}

In any case, I would avoid using the 'nodegen' and 'nodelist' options.
If you still encounter problems, send us the error message, and let us
know which flavor of MPI you are using.

--Leif Strand