[CIG-MC] Re: More advection questions

Eh Tan tan2 at geodynamics.org
Wed Sep 19 15:23:15 PDT 2007

To rephrase Norm's question:

CitcomCU (and CitcomS) computes the advection term via v dot grad(T).
This operation is prone to numerical oscillatory artifact in the upwind
direction. Since v dot grad(T) = div(v*T) - T*div(v) and div(v)==0 in
the incompressible flow, the advection term can be computed via
div(v*T). Is there any disadvantage of this approach?

Anybody knows the answer?

Eh

--
Eh Tan