[CIG-MC] svn download question for CitcomS

CLINT CONRAD clintc at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 21 12:29:54 PST 2009

Hi Eh,

RTM! I should Read The Manual more carefully! Sorry about that, but
thanks for the pointer.

However, when I download the svn version and the follow the
directions, I am immediately halted by:
(I am separating pasted text using "----------" breaks)

--------------------
[clintc at akua CitcomS.svn]$ autoreconf -i
configure.ac:84: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
       See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
------------------

and then I try again and I get something different:

------------------
[clintc at akua CitcomS.svn]$ autoreconf -i
configure.ac: installing `./aux-config/install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `./aux-config/missing'
CitcomS/Makefile.am:26: installing `./aux-config/py-compile'
bin/Makefile.am: installing `./aux-config/compile'
bin/Makefile.am: installing `./aux-config/depcomp'
lib/Makefile.am:27: library used but `RANLIB' is undefined
lib/Makefile.am:27:
lib/Makefile.am:27: The usual way to define `RANLIB' is to add
`AC_PROG_RANLIB'
lib/Makefile.am:27: to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.
lib/Makefile.am:28: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/Makefile.am:28:
lib/Makefile.am:28: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/Makefile.am:28: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf'
again.
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:26: library used but `RANLIB' is undefined
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:26:
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:26: The usual way to define `RANLIB' is
to add `AC_PROG_RANLIB'
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:26: to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf'
again.
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:27: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is
undefined
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:27:
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:27: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is
to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
module/Exchanger/Makefile.am:27: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal'
and `autoconf' again.
module/Makefile.am:32: library used but `RANLIB' is undefined
module/Makefile.am:32:
module/Makefile.am:32: The usual way to define `RANLIB' is to add
`AC_PROG_RANLIB'
module/Makefile.am:32: to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.
module/Makefile.am:33: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
module/Makefile.am:33:
module/Makefile.am:33: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
module/Makefile.am:33: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
------------------

So obviously I didn't get very far. Just in case it helps, here are
some other details: I am using Autoconf 2.59, Automake 1.9.2, and
Libtool 2.2. Note that I had to install Libtool myself (because my
system didn't have it). My system also didn't have svn installed, and
the installation failed (near the end) when I tried to install it.
Rather than digging through that problem (which looked complicated), I
simply implemented svn on my laptop (which did have svn installed) and
then ftp'ed the contents over to the cluster.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed? (By the way, what
is the reason that configure and other scripts are not included in the
svn download? I guess my original thought was that it would be easiest
for users if they were included (as they are included in the 3.0.3
version that you can download), but I am sure there are good reasons
for excluding them - do they change with successive updates, but are
easily updated using autoconf, automake, libtool?)

Sorry for the detailed technical questions, but thanks for any help
you can give me! I really appreciate your efforts to make the lastest
changes to CitcomS (and other codes) available to us.

Clint

Honolulu, HI 96822          clintc at hawaii.edu
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/FACULTY/conrad