[CIG-MC] Benchmark of convection codes including CPU timing and scaling

John Hernlund hernlund at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 11:01:00 PDT 2010

Hi Shijie,

I think this is a good thing to do, since,

1) there is a lot of discussion about the speed of various codes, but
no comprehensive quantitative comparisons have been performed to my
knowledge,

2) solver efficiency is an important benchmark of progress in mantle
convection-related computing and code development and is one of our
most important computational issues in general, and,

3) if we can sort out which solution approaches work best (e.g.,
treatment of pressure, various multigrid schemes, etc.) then we can
perhaps understand which direction future development might want to go.

It is not always simple to compare speed for different codes running
on different architectures and different CPUs (unless you know of a
good way of measuring the number of floating point operations, FPOs,
which is the more robust measure), and running these cases will take a
little time, but perhaps for the above 3 reasons everyone with a code
can run some of these comparisons.

Paul Tackley (cc) or somebody in his group might be able to run these
comparisons relatively quickly using his code, and this could be a
good place to begin.

Cheers!
John