[CIG-MC] CitcomS Legendre polynomial normalization

Shijie Zhong Shijie.Zhong at Colorado.Edu
Wed Mar 3 17:13:39 PST 2010

Hi Joy,

For how the normalization or Legendre polynomials is defined, you can check
the recent benchmark paper [Zhong et al., G^3, 2008] that also includes
benchmarks of dynamic topography and geoid for CitcomS.

You are right that the recursion relation for the Legendre polynomials used in
CitcomS is different from the standard in Numerical Recipes by Press. The
standard one in Numerical Recipes blows up for spherical harmonic degree l >
20 or something, even with double precision computation. I re-derived a
recursion relation in 1997 that is stable for nearly all l's and is used in CitcomS.

Shijie

Shijie Zhong
Department of Physics
University of Colorado at Boulder