[CIG-MC] Viscous dissipation in CitcomS

Eh Tan tan2 at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 6 21:00:29 PST 2010

Hi Raquel,

> *1. I would like to know how CitcomS calculates viscous dissipation
> and where is this sub-routine listed.*
> *
> *

The viscous dissipation is calculated in process_visc_heating() in
lib/Advection_diffusion.c. The equation for viscous dissipation is:

dissipation = viscosity * (2nd invariant of strain rate)^2

> *2. Is there any CitcomS training session programmed in the near
> future?. I've heard about the meeting that is taking place in La Joya,
> Ca in July, is there anything available before?*

I will leave this question for Walter.

Eh Tan
Postdoc
Institute of Geophysics
University of Texas, Austin
J.J. Pickle Research Campus, Bldg 196 (ROC)
10100 Burnet Rd. (R2200),
Austin, TX 78758-4445
(512) 475-9568