[CIG-MC] Issues with HC module on MacosX / Solaris

Thorsten Becker thorstinski at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:12:26 PDT 2010

first problem looks like a fortran/C mixing linking issue, i.e. some compiler
expects some routine to be present which is not automatically supplied. we've
had students successfully compile the code on Macs, so not sure where this
problem comes from.

the SUN example is odd, there it looks like -lm the math library isn't found?

eh's suggestion is a good one

On Wednesday, November 03, 2010 03:49:08 Eh Tan wrote:
> Hi Pritwiraj,
>
> As far as I can tell, hc Makefile doesn't have the "-lcrt0.o" flag. Do
> you know where the flag comes from?
>
> For the SUN machine, it looks like the problem is in your environment
> setup. Can you compile a "hello world" problem on that machine?
>

> Eh
>
> On 11/02/2010 03:59 AM, Pritwiraj Moulik wrote:
> > */Dear Sir,
> > /*
> > */
> > /*
> > */I am a graduate student at Lamont and am interested in your SEATREE
> > tool. I have tried repeatedly to install it on my MAC and Sun machine
> > here with a few issues. For the MAC/(Darwin
> > Pritwiraj-Mouliks-MacBook-Pro.local 10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version
> > 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_I386
> > i386),/it gives the following error while compiling the HC module/*
> >
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/libhc.a
> > prem_util.c: In function 'prem_read_model':
> > prem_util.c:243: warning: format not a string literal and no format
> > arguments
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/libggrd.a
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/libggrd.dfast.a
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/libggrd.dbg.a
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/librick.a
> > ar: creating archive objects/i386/librick.dbg.a
> > ld: library not found for -lcrt0.o
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [bin/i386/hc] Error 1
> >
> > */It looks like crt0.o is a static library no longer in use /(
> > http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa2001/qa1118.html )/for
> > the MAC platform. Is there any fix that will be useful? /*
> > */
> > /*
> > */For the SUN machine (SunOS povel 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc
> > SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890) , I am getting similar errors but for different
> > libraries:/*
> >
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/libhc.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/libhc.a
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/libggrd.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/libggrd.a
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/libggrd.dfast.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/libggrd.dfast.a
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/libggrd.dbg.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/libggrd.dbg.a
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/librick.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/librick.a
> > ar: creating objects/sun4/librick.dbg.a
> > ar: writing objects/sun4/librick.dbg.a
> > ld: fatal: library -lm: not found
> > ld: fatal: library -lc: not found
> > ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to bin/sun4/hc
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [bin/sun4/hc] Error 1
> >
> > */Any advice on how to compile these will be useful. CC is set to gcc
> > and F77 to gfortran for both the machines. /*
> > */Thanks,/*
> > */Raj/*
> > */201C-Seismology/*
> > */LDEO,Palisades, New York/*

Thorsten Becker  - University of Southern California
http://geodynamics.usc.edu/~becker/