No subject

Mon Dec 12 11:46:10 PST 2011

nsient advection-<br>
diffusion problems, in Comput. Methods Appl. Mech Eng, v. 193, 2004, p 2301=
-2323),<br>
they point out that:<br>
&quot;Regarding the small localized oscillations in SUPG solutions we recal=
l that SUPG is not monotonicity<br>
preserving, and that such oscillations can be expected in the vicinity of d=
iscontinuities and internal layers.<br>
Therefore, their presence cannot serve as an indication of a destabilizatio=
n. Moreover, as the data in<br>
Tables 1=963 show, smaller time steps do not lead to an increase in the H1 =
seminorm of the solutions,<br>
=A0i.e., these oscillations remain bounded for small time steps. An applica=
tion of a discontinuity capturing<br>
operator [16] is recommended for a further suppression of these oscillation=
s.<br>
(I&#39;ve attached the paper). This seems to indicate that one should expec=
t these small oscillations where<br>
there are rapid changes in flow, and that using something like the Lenardic=
 filter is a reasonable thing<br>
to do as long as your confident you have a good solution of the flow.<br>
Any you advice or insight you have would be helpful...<br>
Associate Professor &amp; Chancellor Fellow, U.C. Davis<br>
Chair, Geology Graduate Program<br>
Department of Geology &amp; KeckCAVES<br>
2129 Earth &amp; Physical Sciences Bldg<br>
Davis, CA 95616<br>
E-mail: <a href=3D"mailto:mibillen at ucdavis.edu">mibillen at ucdavis.edu</a><br=

Phone: no extension, please e-mail<br>
CIG-MC mailing list<br>