[CIG-MC] problem with citcoms vtk output?

Dan Bower danb at gps.caltech.edu
Sun Feb 13 17:57:32 PST 2011

Just closing this e-mail thread with the bug (and solution) in case
anyone else is interested ...

Connectivity between cells is implied using the vtkstructuredgrid
class and from experimenting a little I've found that XML VTK requires
an output nodal (point) ordering like follows:

   # loop starts at 0 longitude, the North Pole
   for rr in radius1:
     for pp in phi1:
       for tt in theta1:

         # convert to cartesian (from citcoms c code)
         rst = float(rr)*sin(theta2)
         x = rst*cos(phi2)
         y = rst*sin(phi2)
         z = float(rr)*cos(theta2)

         Points.InsertNextPoint(x, y, z)

This is in contrast to the usual citcoms convention where radius is
always the innermost loop.  This is the source of the vtk output
error, and can easily be fixed by correcting the vtk output to loop zz
then yy then xx, or alternatively by reordering the data after it's
been output.

Hope this is helpful for others as well,

Dan