[CIG-MC] cookbook4 and v.3.2.0

Shijie Zhong shijie.zhong at Colorado.EDU
Wed May 16 14:06:06 PDT 2012

Eric,

Typically, div/v and dp/p are coupled, i.e., if one is convergent, the other must be as well, because they are both associated with how well the continuity equation is solved. Therefore, there is no need to check for both div/v and dp/p, in most cases.

Cheers,

Shijie

Shijie Zhong, Professor
Department of Physics
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
Tel: 303-735-5095; Fax: 303-492-7935
Web: http://anquetil.colorado.edu/szhong
From: cig-mc-bounces at geodynamics.org [cig-mc-bounces at geodynamics.org] On Behalf Of Eric Heien [emheien at ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:00 PM
To: CIG-MC at geodynamics.org
Subject: Re: [CIG-MC] cookbook4 and v.3.2.0

Hi everyone,

After working with Juan to understand this, we believe we have discovered the cause.  In CitcomS 3.2.0, an additional convergence criterion was added for continuity (in the output this is referred to as "div/v") such that solver iterations continue until div/v is lower than a certain threshold.  In CitcomS 3.1.1 the iterations were ended based only on pressure and/or velocity convergence.

For the model in Cookbook 4 this causes the kind of isolated cell creation Juan discovered, but it is not clear whether this isolated cell is physically reasonable or caused by the changed element size implemented in the cookbook. Juan is investigating this and will report back to the mailing list.

If anyone wants the same solver behavior in 3.2.0 that was used in 3.1.1, they should set the following parameter:

[CitcomS.solver.vsolver]
check_continuity_convergence=0

We are still investigating how this change in convergence criterion will affect other models.  Let me know if you have any questions.

-Eric