[CIG-MC] ASPECT hackathon in College Station, TX, May 14-23, 2014

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:12:29 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,
to further the development of the mantle convection code ASPECT and its
user community, we are organizing a hackathon on ASPECT in College
Station, May 14-23, 2014.

The purpose of this meeting is to get current users and developers of
ASPECT into one room for several days to make significant progress both
on the development of ASPECT itself, as well as on the models individual
users are building for their own research. Among the topics we hope to
tackle are:
   . More complete material descriptions
   . Benchmarking
   . Plugins for individual research questions
   . Documentation updates
   . Improvements to the tracer code
   . Level-set methods for accurately tracking compositional fields

The majority of the time will be spent working on the code in an
informal setting, possibly in small groups. We will have whiteboards and
projectors for ad-hoc presentations of scientific questions and status
or progress updates.

Support: CIG is offering to support participant travel to the hackathon
for approximately 10 participants. We would like to prioritize those who
are already using ASPECT and/or have contributed to its development
before. Other participants, in particular senior researchers, are of
course welcome for all or part of the workshop's duration but we may not
be able to support their travel.

If you are interested in participating, please send an email to the
organizers at  bangerth at math.tamu.edu  and/or  heister at clemson.edu
containing the following information:
1. Your name and affiliation
2. Dates you are planning to participate
3. Whether you want to apply for travel/lodging support (please
include estimate for airfare).

Best
   Wolfgang Bangerth, Texas A&M University
   Timo Heister, Clemson University