[CIG-MC] Fwd: CORRECTION ... Re: Working Group Reports for Newsletter

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 22 14:14:21 PDT 2014

Scott,

> If anyone has anything they would like to share from the MC working
> group, let me know.   Wolfgang et al.   Mention the Hackathon?   the 1.0
> release?   Get it to my by COB on Thursday so I can compile and forward
> to Lorraine.

Sure. How about this:

Aspect 1.0 was released April 16, 2014. An incredible amount of work, by
many people, has gone into this release. In particular, there is now
much more documentation, including many more cookbooks. There are also
many improvements in the underlying models. For example, compositional
models now allow for reactions between different fields, they can have
boundary conditions, and they can encode latent heat in
thermodynamically more realistic models. Finally, Aspect has received
significant performance improvements and we have routinely been running
large, 3d, full-Earth simulations over a billion year horizon on several
1000 cores. Examples can be found at
   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDTTQ068ablZ8k9J31wNk_Q
In these computations, our ability to visualize data limits how large we
can go. We are confident that this is by far not the limit of
scalability of Aspect and that the code is ready for production use.

To support the ongoing development of Aspect, we will hold a Hackathon
May 14-23, 2014, in College Station, TX. We expect approximately 13
participants. The aim is to further develop models and code previously
written by the participants in support of their own research, and to
incorporate into Aspect itself whatever is of general interest. We also
intend to use the meeting to define future science goals that Aspect
should support, as well as identify the necessary functionality that
needs to be provided to do so.

Best
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu