[CIG-MC] Aspect plans for the future (and things we've worked on lately)

Scott King sdk at vt.edu
Mon Feb 10 10:53:21 PST 2014

Thanks Wolgang and Timo, this is great.

My suggestion is to add

We are having twice monthly conference calls with Eric and Raj to discuss CitcomS development and spherical convection benchmarking and we see this continuing during the following year.  We have near term goals of 1) removing python code from CitcomS without loss of functionality for users, a first step in the integration with PetSc; 2) integration of PetSc in CitcomS, and 3) spherical benchmarking, both addressing performance and accuracy, with a first report due at the Banff workshop in May.   Following these tasks we will revisit integrating the temperature stabilization used in Aspect and perhaps using what we learn in the benchmarking.  My thinking on this last point is whether it is worth using a different method than Aspect in order to give us greater diversity in available methods. Doesn't need to be decided now, but I think we should keep an open mind.

The above paragraph will be fleshed out more for the strategic plan, but I like trying to keep it brief.

We might think about the following.   I believe that we have de-facto two working groups.   One more closely aligned with Aspect and one more closely aligned with CitcomS.   There is some cross-over.  Clearly, with things like benchmarking but even with regard to code development, cross-fertilization could be beneficial to all.  I think there is some, but I don't know how formal it is and if we should make it more formal.  I believe the EC and SSC are going to discuss working groups at some time in the future (should they be "refreshed", how to make sure new people are included, what is an optimal size, ...).   If anyone have thoughts, feelings, and/or ideas about this, it would be a great time to voice those so they can become part of the initial discussion.   Should we have one group (mantle convection) with two subgroups (Aspect and CitcomS) or should working groups be based on code and not discipline? (if so, what do we do about workshop planning?)

Anyone else have anything to add?

Scott