[CIG-MC] CitcomS, generating grd input file

Thorsten Becker thorstinski at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 00:48:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Hammond, Noah <noah_hammond at brown.edu>
wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Can the ASCII file have 4 columns, (lat, lon, radius, temperature)? I am
> also required to install HC, is that right?
>
> no, the grids need to be separated by layer depth, netcdf can only handle
x-y grids. yes, you need to install HC for the grd handling capabilities.

> On a related note, the manual states that Mike Gurnis added the capability
> for CitcomS to use geographically dependent surface temperature boundary
> conditions. Can you explain how these conditions are implemented using grd
> files?

these are two different ways of specifying thermal and mechanical BCs. Mike
uses nodal locations, where the BCs are read in similar to what the code
outputs, node-by-node. i implemented the grd input. the latter is less well
documented, regrettably.