[CIG-MC] creating a viscosity structure in CitcomS

tan2 tan2tan2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 20:33:42 PDT 2014

Hi William,

You can start reading the code of get_system_viscosity(). This function
computes the temperature-, composition-, and stress-dependence of
viscosity.

In your case, you need to modify the array
  evisc[m][(i-1)*vpts + j]

m is always equal to 1 in this version of code.
i is the element number, starting from 1 to E->lmesh.nel.
j is the gauss quadrature point, starting from 1 to vpts (==8).

By varying i and j, you can change the viscosity of different regions.

One thing important to note: CitcomS interpolates the viscosity field from
quadrature points to nodal points for output purpose. Therefore, the
viscosity field plotted by opendx or paraview, which reads the interpolated
viscosity output, is a smoothed version of the true viscosity used in
calculating the stiffness matrix.

Regards,

Eh Tan