[CIG-MC] How to setup subduction modeling in CitcomS (attachment fixed)

ZhangQingwen zhangqingwen at live.cn
Tue Oct 27 00:02:46 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Thank you for your reply, which is very inspirational and helpful.

 now realized that, in CitcomS, viscosity structure of a slab can be
prescribed by a given temperature perterbation, in which viscosity is
set to be strongly temperature-dependent. As an example, in the case of
the Mid-Ocean Ridge, one can use half-space
cooling temperture profile to implement its unique viscosity structure
(see attachment, from Liu's EPSL paper, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2011.09.027).

But it's not flexble enough. I think being able to "assign arbitrarily complex geometries to temperature, composition, and viscosity material " with Netcdf/GMT grd files as mentioned by Dr. Becker is an attractive way, although I have no idea about how so far.

Perhaps I will need more time digging into the code like viscosity_structures.c as well the solution of Netcdf/GMT files input.

Possible numerical diffusion when it comes to convection of temperature and composition field is also what I concern.

Thank you for your time!

Best,
Qingwen