[CIG-MC] ConMan issues report

Scott King sdk at vt.edu
Wed Aug 17 16:21:35 PDT 2016

John;

Most if not all of the problems with the CIG version of ConMan are due to the memory management module that we put into the code in the late 1990s before modern Fortran compilers all started using dynamic memory allocation and when both 32 and 64 bit machines were common and the difference posed many problems for codes.   I'm not sure if any 32 bit machines still exist in the wild.

I have a version of the code that removes the memory management routines and uses dynamic memory allocation for all the variables.  There are a host of other changes/improvements and many of the old routines no longer exist and/or have been merged.   I know it works in intel and gfortran on mac and linux.  I was not sure that this was a good idea to update with github or it's predecessor because it is such a major change.  The new version can do both explicit and Picard time stepping and can do Bousinessq, extended Bousinessq, TALA, and ALA.  For about three years it's been on my "to do list" to get this to CIG somehow, but it needs documentation and I just don't have the time or energy to do it.  It was not and is not clear to me if CIG really wants this.  Even with these changes it is rather dated and I'm not sure what kind of demand there is for it.  That said it is about 100.000 times easier to install than Aspect.

I bring it up because it might be a better use of time to get the newer version of ConMan into the repository than fixing up the old version.  I'd help but realistically I have a panel meeting next week, classes start, and it is my summer undergrads last week.  My time is non-existent.

Best,

Scott