[CIG-MC] Aspect installation error

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Sat Nov 4 11:01:20 PDT 2017

Hi again,

Noah, apologies - I got installation question emails mixed up and didn’t realize you are in fact using the mac deal.II app.

A couple of thought on the compiler issues:
>>> bash-3.2$ /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake \

There should be no need to specify all of these flags when using the deal.II app. My procedure for compiling ASPECT on my mac is as follows:
1. Open a terminal and cd to the aspect directory
2. Initiate the deal.II app via the command: /Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/bin/./dealii-terminal
3. Compile with “cmake .” (Debug) or “cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .” (optimized).

The key part is initiating the dealii-terminal, which loads all the required flags you specified above. For example, here are the defaults for mpicc, cmake and $DEAL_II_DIR initiated through the deal.II app:
bash-3.2$ echo $DEAL_II_DIR
/Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources
bash-3.2$ which mpicc
/Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/brew/bin/mpicc
bash-3.2$ which cmake
/Applications/deal.II-8.5-brew.app/Contents/Resources/brew/bin/cmake
bash-3.2$

I suspect the compiler flags you specified are not pointing to the correct compilers.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis