[CIG-SEISMO] What is fixed in SPECFEM3D_GLOBE 4.0.4?

Sue Kientz sue at geodynamics.org
Mon Aug 3 22:25:40 PDT 2009

Hi Sung-Joon,

Here are the details on the bug sent in by Brian Savage. Note that now
that this bug is fixed, you do not have to do any of the suggested
workarounds mentioned below.

Bug Description: SAC and Rotated Output are incorrect.
There is a bug in the specfem3d_globe code when outputting sac binary,
sac alpha files, or rotated seismograms. The location is taken
incorrectly from the first line of the DATA/CMTSOLUTION file (PDE
solution). The event location and the rotated seismograms are incorrect
as they should be using the location specified later in the
DATA/CMTSOLUTION file.
Problems will occur if you are writing to any of the following
- SAC binary
- SAC alpha
- Rotated seismograms (SAC or ASCII text files)
If you are outputting ascii text files as North, East and Vertical the
output is fine.
If you have SAC seismograms already, you can fix them by them by setting
the correct event location from the CMTSOLUTION file and rotating within
SAC. There should be no need to recalculate seismograms. Rotated text
files are trickier to correct, but possible.

Sue Kientz