[CIG-SEISMO] New mesh construction for SPECFEM3D?

Jeroen Tromp jtromp at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jan 15 05:47:58 PST 2009

Dear Steve:

We (Dimitri Komatitsch's group at Pau and my group at Princeton) are
currently working on a new version of SPECFEM3D, SPECFEM3D_SESAME, which
has all the attributes of SPECFEM3D and accommodates any unstructured
mesh. These meshes may be constructed in Cubit (cubit.sandia.gov) and
Gocad (www.gocad.org), are partitioned and load-balanced based upon
ParMetis (glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/parmetis/overview), before use
by a brand new SEM solver. The basic forward solver is ready, but we are
currently adding additional features such as attenuation, acoustic and
poroelastic solvers, adjoint capabilities, etc. We are aiming for
release of the new software in the summer.

Sincerely,

Jeroen Tromp