[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2D 6.1.1

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Thu Nov 4 12:29:44 PDT 2010

We are pleased to announce the release of version 6.1.1 of SPECFEM2D,
which implements an interesting new feature (9-node external meshes)
and fixes several bugs, one of which being critical
(poroelastic/elastic coupling). We therefore strongly encourage users
to download the new version from

  http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/specfem2d

Please note that the format of the main input file (DATA/Par_file) has
slightly changed (two lines added, one removed) therefore please
remember to update yours.

We thank Paul Cristini from Laboratoire de Mecanique et d'Acoustique
of Marseille, France, for very carefully testing version 6.1 of the
package and helping us locate and fix several important bugs.

The main changes in version 6.1.1 are:

- poroelastic/elastic coupling fixed (it used to blow up in some cases)
- support for 9-node external meshes added; such external meshes can
  be created by classical mesh creation packages such as CUBIT, GiD,
  Gmsh etc.
- fixed a bug in display of poroelastic properties
- removed support for METIS domain decomposition, use SCOTCH instead
  (because it is more recent, actively supported and performs better)
- added source code of SCOTCH
- fixed a bug in the title of a postscript file in checkgrid.F90
- updated the Makefile
- updated the manual
- slightly changed the structure of DATA/Par_file

Dimitri Komatitsch, Christina Morency, Roland Martin, Paul Cristini et al.
November 4, 2010.