[CIG-SEISMO] Specfem2D : Small Oscillations in Kernel Data

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at get.obs-mip.fr
Sat Apr 9 07:36:23 PDT 2011

Dear Philip,

Hopefully Carl Tape, or somebody who is more familiar with the 2D kernel
/ adjoint code than I am, can answer that. Could you maybe email us a
few screen captures showing pictures of the problem? I think it would help.

Thank you,

On 04/08/2011 07:47 PM, Philip Knaute wrote:
> Dear All
>
> After getting Specfem2D to run with Scotch (thank you again for your
> help, Dimitri) I started to work with the sensitivity-kernel function of
> Specfem2D.
>
> But, when I look at my results (e.g. the Kernels) their values seem to
> oscillate (very small deviations) around an average value.
>
> So, if I have a 2D plot of my sensitivity Kernel, I would take a 1D
> slice for a fixed z value.
> Looking at that 1D funtcion only depending on the GLL Points in X
> Direction it would look like a Triangle wave function ( looking
> something like that /\/\/\/\/\ ).
> It would oscillate very regularly around an average value, especially at
> locations where this average value doesn't change.
> The oscillations seem to be too regular to be noise or an instability of
> any kind, so I guess it is an intentional feature.
> Is it an intentional feature of the code and do I have to post process
> the Kernel-data somehow?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
> Best regards,
> Philip

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT get.obs-mip.fr
Professor, University of Toulouse and Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS UMR 5563 GET, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1