[CIG-SEISMO] Specfem2D : Small Oscillations in Kernel Data

Carl Tape carltape at gi.alaska.edu
Mon Apr 11 20:53:27 PDT 2011

Dear Philip,

I added two kernel examples (with figures) to SPECFEM2D. Please run these
examples and plot the kernels to make sure things look okay. (If you checked
out the tar-ball version, there will be an updated posting soon; otherwise,
"svn update".) There is also a plotting script that uses GMT. If the
examples look okay, then first examine the synthetic seismograms and
corresponding adjoint sources. For your example, there probably should not
be any spurious oscillations -- only the actual seismic phases. If the
synthetics look "clean," then so should the adjoint source, assuming you've
picked a decent window (which it looks like you have). If you still
encounter the effects you sent, let us know.

When testing the plotting, start out by using no interpolation whatsoever --
just the plot the values at the (global) gridpoints exactly using a command
like "scatter" in matlab (or psxy in GMT). That way you can know it's not
related to plotting issues.

Carl

Carl Tape
Assistant Professor