[CIG-SEISMO] need some advices to learn the SPECFEM2D codes

Carl Tape carltape at gi.alaska.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:42:54 PST 2011

Dear Guoping:

My suggestion would be the following (if you haven't done them already):

1. Read the SPECFEM2D user manual. It is up-to-date and contains many
references.
2. Read some of the references listed in the manual.
3. Run one of the several examples that are provided with the code,
but note that only some of the examples contain the adjoint
capabilities.
4. Try stepping through the components of the code. The key point is
that the forward solver is used both to evaluate the misfit function
and to compute the sensitivity kernels. (I agree that it would be nice
if notation in published papers matched variable names in codes, but
this is generally not the case.)

SPECFEM2D can produce the gradient of the misfit function for a
tomographic inversion, but options for using the gradient within an
iterative inversion are left to the user (e.g., conjugate-gradient,
steepest descent). The plan is to include some examples in the future.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Carl Tape
Assistant Professor