[CIG-SEISMO] Compiling Mineos, error on F77_FUNC

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Mon Jan 31 14:12:36 PST 2011

Guust Nolet <nolet at geoazur.unice.fr> wrote:
> I am trying to compile the latest release of Mineos on a MacBook Pro
> under OSX 10.6.6. I use gfortran and gcc (as far as I know g77 is
> not available for the Intel Macs).
> The makefile stumbles over swapn.c, apparently it does not recognize
> the F77_FUNC macro. The first indication that something did not work
> was a warning running ./configure saying:
>
> WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme

It looks like you are using a different compiler for C and Fortran.
According to the configure log, your C compiler is gcc 4.2.1, while
the Fortran compiler is 4.3.0.  My guess is that you are using the
system version of the C compiler and a local version of the Fortran
compiler.

This should not matter, but I would try using the same version of gcc
for Fortran and C.  It looks like when you build your local copy of
gfortran, that you did not build the C compiler.  In particular, your
configure line was

  ../gcc-4.3-20071026/configure --enable-languages=fortran

I would change that to

  ../gcc-4.3-20071026/configure --enable-languages=fortran,c

For the record, I used gcc 4.5.0 to compile without issues on 10.6.3
and 10.6.6.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
walter at geodynamics.org