[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D install

Dimitri Komatitsch dimitri.komatitsch at get.obs-mip.fr
Tue Jul 12 07:24:12 PDT 2011

Dear all,

I have seen this problem as well (frequently) in the past: it is often
related to the fact that MPICH uses non standard Fortran95 in one of its
include files ("mpif.h"), in particular integer*8, also sometimes
character*1 instead of character(len=1).

Thus the problem comes from MPICH, not from SPECFEM3D.
As mentioned by Bernhard, you can simply remove -e95 from flags.guess
and then rerun "configure".

Dimitri.

On 07/06/2011 06:05 PM, Bernhard Schuberth wrote:
> Hi Saleem, hi Daniel,
>
> I encountered the same problem quite a while ago, and if I remember
> correctly, it was related to the usage of the ifort option "-e95". It
> seems that some MPI installation do use some old declaration of the form
> "CHARACTER*8" or similar, which are treated as errors when -e95 is set.
> However, in the most recent versions of flags.guess, this option was not
> used any more.
>
> This is just out of my head, so maybe I am wrong. But perhaps this helps
> to solve the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernhard
>

> __________________________________
>
> Dr. Bernhard Schuberth
> UMR GéoAzur
> 250 Rue Albert Einstein
> 06560 Valbonne, France
>
> Phone:+33-492-94-2623
> E-Mail:mail at bernhard-schuberth.de <mailto:mail at bernhard-schuberth.de>
> Info:www.bernhard-schuberth.de <http://www.bernhard-schuberth.de>
> www.geoazur.fr <http://www.geoazur.fr>
>

> On Jul 6, 2011, at 5:43 PM, daniel peter wrote:
>
>> Hi Saleem,
>>
>> probably your mpif90 option is not correct. check your installation of
>> MPI wrappers and fortran compilers, then try to change the
>> configuration options accordingly. sometimes it helps to use absolute
>> paths, like :
>>
>> for ifort:
>> ./configure F90=ifort
>> MPIF90=/usr/local/openmpi/1.4.3/intel111/x86_64/bin/mpif90
>>
>> for gfortran:
>> ./configure F90=gfortran
>> MPIF90=/usr/local/openmpi/1.4.3/gcc/x86_64/bin/mpif90
>>
>> to see if your mpif90 works, try to compile the little example program
>> given in the manual_SPECFEM3D.pdf, Appendix C:
>>
>> program main
>> include ’mpif.h’
>> integer, parameter :: CUSTOM_MPI_TYPE = MPI_REAL
>> integer ier
>> call MPI_INIT(ier)
>> call MPI_BARRIER(MPI_COMM_WORLD,ier)
>> call MPI_FINALIZE(ier)
>> end
>>

>> save this as test_mpi.f90
>>
>> then see if:
>>
>> > mpif90 -o test_mpi test_mpi.f90
>>
>> works or if you need something like
>>
>> > /usr/local/openmpi/1.4.3/intel111/x86_64/bin/mpif90 -o test_mpi
>> test_mpi.f90
>>
>> for it to compile. then use this as configuration option
>>
>> ./configure F90=ifort
>> MPIF90=/usr/local/openmpi/1.4.3/intel111/x86_64/bin/mpif90
>>
>> hope this helps out a bit.
>>
>> best wishes,
>> daniel
>>

>> On Jul 6, 2011, at 4:39 AM, saleem iqbal wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Sir
>>> I am Saleem Iqbal from Pakistan. I downloaded the SPECFEM3D from your
>>> website. Thanks alot for making it freely available at your site. I
>>> tried to install the software on a system with ifort and mpif90
>>> compilers but failed the following is displayed when i try to configure
> [...]

Dimitri Komatitsch - dimitri.komatitsch aT get.obs-mip.fr
Professor, University of Toulouse and Institut universitaire de France,
CNRS UMR 5563 GET, France   http://www.univ-pau.fr/~dkomati1