[CIG-SEISMO] Question about SPECFEM2D

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Sat Aug 18 06:22:43 PDT 2012

Dear Oscar,

We implemented this based on José Carcione's papers from the end of the
80's (Carcione 1988 for instance). Thus I am pretty sure the equations
are fine. Anisotropy in SPECFEM2D applies to the P-SV case (only). I am
not sure what you want to do for SH waves can actually be done, but I am
not an expert. You can probably refer to the book of Carcione (2007)
http://www.amazon.com/Fields-Media-Volume-Second-Edition/dp/0080464084/ref=la_B001JRWVI2_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345296116&sr=1-1
and/or contact him by email at OGS Trieste (if so, you can cc me).

Thank you,
Dimitri.

On 07/31/2012 08:01 PM, Oscar Alberto Jarillo Michel wrote:
> Dear SPECFEM2D developers,
>
> I am using SPECFEM2D for research and at this moment I am trying to
> define a 2D VTI (transverse isotropy with a vertical symmetry axis)
> model, and for that I need to specify a total of five independent
> stiffness coefficients that describe this type of symmetry: c11, c13,
> c33, c55 and c66; however, by reading the user's guide and then the
> Par_files, I noticed that in the part of model definition when I try to
> specify an anisotropic model it is possible to introduce four out of the
> five stiffness coefficients: c11, c13, c33, and c55, but it is not
> possible to introduce c66 (responsible in part of the anisotropy of
> anti-plane SH waves). I can obtain good results if I only consider the
> Ux and Uz displacement components (P and SV waves) but it becomes an
> issue if I deal with the Uy displacement component (SH waves). I know
> that SPECFEM2D is a 2D package, but even though I think I should be able
> to get anisotropy for SH waves if I, for example, specify a seismic
> source by its seismic moment tensor including the Myx and Myz components.
>
> Perhaps to solve this problem I could use SPECFEM3D; however I think the
> modeling process would be very time consuming and I would like to avoid
> that,
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Oscar Alberto Jarillo Michel, CSM/CWP.

Dimitri Komatitsch - komatitsch aT lma.cnrs-mrs.fr