[CIG-SEISMO] Question about SPECFEM2D

Oscar Alberto Jarillo Michel ojarillo at mymail.mines.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:01:06 PDT 2012

Dear SPECFEM2D developers,

I am using SPECFEM2D for research and at this moment I am trying to define
a 2D VTI (transverse isotropy with a vertical symmetry axis) model, and for
that I need to specify a total of five independent stiffness coefficients
that describe this type of symmetry: c11, c13, c33, c55 and c66; however,
by reading the user's guide and then the Par_files, I noticed that in the
part of model definition when I try to specify an anisotropic model it is
possible to introduce four out of the five stiffness coefficients: c11,
c13, c33, and c55, but it is not possible to introduce c66 (responsible in
part of the anisotropy of anti-plane SH waves). I can obtain good results
if I only consider the Ux and Uz displacement components (P and SV waves)
but it becomes an issue if I deal with the Uy displacement component (SH
waves). I know that SPECFEM2D is a 2D package, but even though I think I
should be able to get anisotropy for SH waves if I, for example, specify a
seismic source by its seismic moment tensor including the Myx and Myz
components.

Perhaps to solve this problem I could use SPECFEM3D; however I think the
modeling process would be very time consuming and I would like to avoid
that,

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Oscar Alberto Jarillo Michel, CSM/CWP.