[CIG-SEISMO] Using SPECFEM to calculate the impulse response of anisotropic layers

Derek derek.schutt at colostate.edu
Thu Sep 27 13:48:46 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

I sent this email to the list before, and several people kindly pointed
out to me that my subject line was incorrect and that my error may
reduce the response rate.   So, I will try again, and apologize for
sending this a 2nd time.

I've got a rather naive question about SPECFEM.

I'm looking for code to calculate the approximate 1-D impulse response
of a horizontally layered anisotropic medium to a near (but not exactly)
vertically incident waveform from below.

More specifically:

    . I am hoping to have 2 or 3 ~100km thick layers that have constant
    velocity but differing types of anisotropy;
    . I would like to input an SV impulse function (a 1s half-width
    gaussian would work);
    . I would like to be able to iteratively change the orientation of
    the anisotropy to try new models (say by using a shell script to
    change a parameter file)
    . and I would like this to run in < 10 s (say in mpi mode on a 12
    node computer).

I only need one specific ray path of energy propagating from below the
horizontally oriented layers to the "surface", along a specific incident
ray parameter. This is part of a project to do a parameter sweep over
all reasonable aspects of hexagonal anisotropy to match observed
waveforms, so the goal would be to integrate the impulse response
generation into a larger bit of code/shell script/matlab

This strikes me as something rather different from what SPECFEM is
intended to do, but I am wondering if you think what I am hoping to do
may be feasible, probably in SPECFEM 2D?

I have some old F77 code that does what I want, but it is non-mpi and
does not always compile on modern computers.

Thanks and best regards,

Derek

--
Derek Schutt