[CIG-SEISMO] Specfem2D : jpeg snapshots for adjoint calculations

Philip Knaute philip.knaute at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:30:48 PST 2013

Dear Specfem2D users and developers,

I have a hopefully simple question about the plotting of jpeg snapshots of
the wavefield. I am running revision 20530.

At the moment I am running kernel calculations for one source and many
receivers. When I calculate the adjoint sources, some of the (but the
minority) adj sources will be set to zero for the adjoint run.

My question now concerns the wavefield jpeg snapshots.
In the adjoint run, I am able to see two active sources in those images.
Neither of them is located at the original source location.
I was expecting to either see all my adjoint sources (around 100) emitting
something, or maybe the time reversed forward wavefield. But two seemingly
random locations emitting something when everything else is quiet seems
weird and made me think that I might have made a mistake somewhere with the
calculation of the adjoint sources.

Is this the normal behaviour of the jpeg snapshot output? Or what should it
look for an adjoint simulation with many adjoint sources?

I attached a jpeg snapshot

I would be thankful if anyone could help me with this problem.

Best regards,
Philip