[CIG-SEISMO] Noise simulation in SPECFEM2D

Yingzi Ying yingzi.ying at me.com
Mon Jan 28 11:18:00 PST 2013

Dear Tromp, Dimitri and all,

I am interested in noise simulation with SPECFEM2D(V7.0.0) to get
ensemble cross-correlation. I tried to reproduce the result in fig. 2(a)
in Tromp's paper "Noise cross-correlation sensitivity kernels" by
executing ./process.sh in EXAMPLES/noise_uniform/.

My calculated interferogram after step 2 has two envelopes in the
positive branch, and their positions are unconcerned with the time delay
between two stations. This is totally different with the Tromp's result.

I checked the source code "noise_tomography.f90" and found the value
"time_function_type" is fixed to "4", which means the variable
"time_function_type" in "DATA/SOURCE" will not take action and the
"DATA/NOISE_TOMOGRAPHY/S_squared" will not be read. Furthermore, there
is no "nu_master" in SPECFEM2D, which exists in 3D version.

I don't know what goes wrong, and what I should do to get a correct
ensemble interferogram. Anyone who knows please kindly give me a hint.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Yingzi