[CIG-SEISMO] Interpolate model from one mesh onto another

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Fri Jun 28 06:31:11 PDT 2013

One solution could be:
Define your target grid, the way you need it. For example use vectors,
containing the X, Y & Z values. Cycle through these to query the model
and put these values into some rank-3-matrix. Dump the matrix in the
your preferred format.

Small programs like these for sure have already been written, but I am
not aware of any such routine within the SPECFEM3D package. But that
does not mean anything.

Ciao!
~petr

On 28 Jun 2013, at 15:20, schiemenz at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Peter -
> The tomo option seemed the best approach to me also, because I have a
> structured, rectangular-shaped mesh.  A minor difficulty in this is
> the
> need to extract a regular grid from the model files.  Is there a
> simple
> way to do this?
>
> Regards,
> Alan
>

>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> I would argue, that the problem you are describing is not specific to
>> SPECFEM3D, but more general: To make a really correct (interpolation)
>> -- I would call it projection -- you would need to take into account
>> the right discrete representation in each case and map it into the
>> other one using the underlaying basis functions. This would be true
>> not only for the case from coarse to fine, but also in the oposite
>> direction. For this operation I am not aware of any generic tool,
>> which currently would do exactly this.
>>
>> From a more practical point of view, in SPECFEM there is the tomo
>> model routine, which performs a linear interpolation from a coarser
>> regular grid (defining your model) to the computational grid (here
>> you
>> could sample on any other target grid as well). This, in some way,
>> could serve your needs?
>>
>> Hope this note is any useful to you!
>> ~petr
>>

>> On 28 Jun 2013, at 14:52, schiemenz at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
>>
>>> Dear SPECFEM3D* community,
>>> I would like to know if there is an effective way for the user to
>>> interpolate from one mesh onto another.  More specifically, I am
>>> updating
>>> a (coarse) Vp model with FWI at low frequencies, but need to use a